Saturday, April 26, 2014

Review/Swatch: Maybelline Bold Matte lipstick MAT 1 & MAT 2

Bright matte lips are on trend right now and no matter how dry my lips are, matte lipsticks will always have a place in my heart. Unfortunately, ever since I had atopic dermatitis, I can't pull off any kind of lip product. Even lip balms are no match for my dry lips especially when my skin is flaring up. So whenever I feel like my skin and lips are in a "happy place" or at least normal in my standard, I go crazy with lippies...the bolder the color, the better.

So whenever you see me posting about lip products, you betcha those days are what I consider my "good skin days".

Purchased some Maybelline bold matte lippies to try out last January and I haven't even opened these two (among many other new products that is still in their pristine condition...yeah, I'm borderline hoarder hahaha!)
Maybelline Bold Matte Lipsticks
Packaging:
it looks like this when the seal is unopened. When the seal is removed you'll be left with a bare frosted plastic cap. Overall look is ok, with a decent weight to it. 

Price:
got these on sale for 20% off its original price of P399

Place bought:
SM North Edsa

I think when I was purchasing this, I only saw 5 or 6 different shades in the bold matte line. I checked reviews about this in the internet and saw that in other Asian countries, they have 7 or more different shades to choose from this line (no fair!)...don't know if they have added the "new" shades here 'cause I'm not up to date anymore and I'm not in the mood to collect this lipstick line as of now.

 Ingredients:

Scent:
no detectable scent which I prefer.

Pigmentation:
In my opinion, the pigmentation is great. It is very bright with a hint of neon in it (at least in these shades I got).

Formulation:
-It applies smooth on my lips which is surprising for a drugstore "matte" lipstick 'cause the ones I've tried dragged on my lips (but I still love you Wet n' Wild megalast lipcolor).
- Even though it does not make my lips look chalky or super dehydrated, it is still not moisturizing enough for me to wear without a lipbalm underneath which is understandable because all matte lipstick are like that.
- although this is a "matte" lipstick, other people find that this lipsticks give a very subtle satin look to the lips (which can be remedied by blotting the lips with a tissue to make it look matte). My lips are naturally dry already, so it looks matte on me from the get go. hehehe!
- I don't know about other people, but I like how it stains my lips after long hours of wear. I can wear this for 6-8 hours max.

MAT 1
bright, almost neon pink on my lips

unfortunately, when I opened the MAT 1, the tip of the lipstick was ruined. I don't understand how it happened because I made sure the lipstick was new and the seal has never been touched by anybody. 

Swatch:
I swatched this with a lipbalm underneath. It's no biggie since I'll just blot my lips with a tissue and it will looked completely matte.....if I don't wear a lipbalm underneath, this will look matte on me.

MAT 2
bright, neon orange red on my lips 

Swatch:
I find that this is a tad more pigmented than the MAT 1.


Pros:
- affordable and easily accessible (Maybelline is on sale most of the time.)
- decent amount of shades to choose from.
- great pigmentation.
- although it is not moisturizing, it still feels comfortable to wear for long periods of time and it does not give your lips a "chalky" look.
- I like that it stains the lips (I can wear this as a lip tint) and it does not look patchy once the color wore off during the day. 

Cons:
  - I can't think of any.






No comments:

Post a Comment