Friday, October 7, 2011

My Honest Perspective on Beauty Products Nowadays

Yep! long time no post. I know that I have not been blogging or reviewing products as much as I used to anymore, even though I have lots of time to blog. It's just that, during my hiatus, I've successfully curbed my appetite from purchasing new beauty products. Don't get me wrong, I love beauty products especially makeup (anything related to color) and this love will never go away. In fact, I'm still up to date with what's new and what have improved with different kinds of makeup and skincare products from different brands all because of reading reviews, watching youtube and observing different beauty boutiques and dept. stores...Ah! the power of media.

But as my knowledge with anything related to beauty products grew, I've realized that I'm becoming more "tamed" in purchasing things that I will use. Most of the time, when newbies in the beauty world try new things, we tend to buy this and that simultaneously without thinking thoroughly if the products is even worth the money, if the product is dupe-able, if the product is just a hype. 

We usually don't care about that when we were beginners. We just want to satisfy our hunger for cute, colorful, expensive looking, fine smelling products. For me, that's normal for every newbie to feel that way and I think by going through that stage, we learn more about what we want from the product, what we will most likely use for a long time, what product are of really good quality, a piece of crap or just mediocre.

Do I regret buying all those things? NO, I actually enjoyed the journey of gaining knowledge through my mistakes and because of that, it has been much easier for me to decide if the product I'm going to buy is worth the risk and money or not with just looking at it and listening to what my gut tells me. 

Sometimes I can't help but grin at some makeup products that were launch as "the new color of the season" or "the new miracle product" because by looking at some products I've seen recently, they're almost the same, but with just a different, modern or cute packaging. I'm actually more impressed by the designer of the packaging rather than the product itself...it's also shocking that I've observed most of these "recycled products" are from high end brands, but with a different name. Example, a blue eyeshadow was named "A" then after a few season they will name it "B" or a brand will launch a new color or texture of lipstick, and the other brands will copy the same color and texture of lipstick, but with their own different packaging and different price range. 

It has become redundant (like what I'm writing right now). A trend...and to us, who loves to review products (in a brutally honest way) it has become a bit of a bore.

Nowadays, I've only seen a very few brands that have really improved their products throughout the years. They've really stepped up a notch and we, the demanding consumers, appreciate it greatly. I hope more brands will continue to amaze us with the quality of their products because hyped products never go very far, but quality products do. (no brainer)

That's rather a bit of a disadvantage when you've already learned so much, it's hard for you to be impressed or be wowed by the "new product" of the season, but it is also an advantage because you know what you want and what is worth your money or not.

Will I still do reviews in the near future? yes, but not as much as I used to. 

2 comments:

  1. hahaaa agree! if it's not a sponsor item I woudn't have so much make up, lolz. I prefer to finish one before buying another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We usually don't care about that when we were beginners. We just want to satisfy our hunger for cute, colorful, expensive looking, fine smelling products. For me, that's normal for every newbie to feel that way and I think by going through that stage, we learn more about what we want from the product, what we will most likely use for a long time, what product are of really good quality, a piece of crap or just mediocre. - I totally agree on this one. I experienced this before and I called it my "Korean Cosmetics" phase hahaha!
    Glad it's over now, and i just buy things that i need.

    ReplyDelete